Wednesday, June 11, 2008

See Change and Get Change

On Monday I wrote of inspirations I experienced in places and with people over the weekend.

I wrote to Robyn [Oliver] Williams, the Director of the Lady Denman Museum to say how wonderful the events were there, on Saturday - the usual markets, plus See Change's opening. 

Robyn wrote back with names of all those who contributed and I have placed the email exchange here [click]. Such community teamwork.

Kevin Browne, the President of Jervis Bay Arts, has urged me to come to the closing event of See Change, next Sunday. I have sent my regrets - my plan is to take a personal break, nothing more important than staying human! 

I did ask Kevin if he could encourage members of the arts community to take these elections seriously.  Community values require participation, not alienation or disillusion.... as does art. 

I can't do what I am trying to do without community energy and commitment. And I can't be dragging people to their feet, we are all adults. The affluent, the committed, need to come forward and find their voices. 

I have also drawn Kevin's attention to my email exchange with Teh Francis, in Cameroon - (look down just below this entry). Pastor Francis asked for further mentoring on the subject of transparency. I set out the principles that should apply in the Shoalhaven. 

If I were to speak next Sunday at that arts event, I would speak of the application of those same ideas to beauty and art: transparency, accountability, integrity, community and leadership. Art's meaning, for most of us, is in communication... what gives it clarity and impact?