Wednesday, June 11, 2008

another inspiration

My belief in the power of community is not just in the head. It reflects extraordinary experiences. One with which I continue to be involved - sending emails many times a week is OzBrainTumour, a support group for Australians dealing with brain tumour diagnosis. 

I set OzBrainTumour up in 2000. 

My wife of 26 years, Margaret, then diagnosed with the worst kind of brain tumour. She with psychlogy and counselling training and many skills, I with a history of research and policy on all things in the federal arena, found ourselves on the most extraordinarily difficult learning curve, with death at th elbow. The learning had to be shared, so we built this web site for Margaret, then OzBrainTumour

With the Margaret site I learned the skills for web site building, going on to many projects at aplaceof.info.

From OzBrainTumour I have learned the power of community. With hundreds of members in the deepest, deepest holes of threat and difficulty, bad stuff is chucked aside and mutual support wonderful. 

Never despair, find community, build. 

Never hate, life is too short and too good for that...